Sunshine Division & YWCA Partner for
1st Annual Basic Needs Resource Fair, Elevate
The Portland Police Bureau Sunshine Division will partner with YWCA to host a free resource fair open to the public on May 1st from 10a – 2p at the downtown YWCA at 1111 SW 10th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205. The fair will bring together 24 nonprofits and social service agencies offering information on a variety of resources and services to address basic needs.
The first annual basic needs resource fair, Elevate, allows low-income families and individuals access to information about resources varying from housing, food, and clothing assistance to low-cost/no-cost healthcare, education, and job placement resources.
“We see a lot clients who are visiting us for food and clothing assistance but that is just a fraction of what is going on in their lives” said Kyle Camberg, Sunshine Division’s Executive Director. Camberg states that “Generally when people come to see us they have a host of needs which are often a result of under/ unemployment or serious health issues. Our mission is only food and clothing but through partnering with other agencies, we’re able to help our clients more comprehensively. Sunshine Division can’t possibly offer every resource needed but we can introduce clients to other nonprofits who offer different services through events like Elevate. We appreciate the YWCA offering their building to host this important event.”
“The YWCA of Greater Portland is proud to partner with Sunshine Division to host this event. We’re thrilled that our community’s most vulnerable citizens will be able to access so many needed resources in one place,” says Leslie Bevan, Executive Director of the YWCA of Greater Portland.
About Portland Police Bureau Sunshine Division
Since 1923, the Portland Police Bureau Sunshine Division has been providing emergency food and clothing relief to Portland families and individuals in need. Whether due to the loss of a job, domestic crime, illness, or victims of fire or disaster, the Sunshine Division has built a 90-year legacy of mobilizing quickly and efficiently to assist distressed Portlanders.
The Sunshine Division offers emergency food assistance six days a week at their warehouse as well as 24/7 through their partnership with the Portland Police Bureau who store food boxes at each police precinct that can be dispatched on demand. In addition to food relief they also offer new and gently used clothing to those in need.
About the YWCA of Greater Portland
- The YWCA of Greater Portland is the local affiliate of one of the oldest and largest women’s organizations in the United States.
- Our mission is to eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
- The YWCA of Greater Portland has been serving the Portland community for over 110 years.
- Our programs include; youth services, domestic violence services, senior services, and training for social change.
- In 2011-2012, our services reached over 11,500 individuals across the Greater Portland and surrounding areas.
- This included the provision of safety, shelter, and crisis intervention to nearly 1,500 women and children through our DV Program.